Friday, January 13, 2012

WORD FOR THE DAY


I love the book of James. It's probably my favorite in the Bible. Here's a little goodness for the day:

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. Those who doubt should not think they will receive anything from the Lord; they are double-minded and unstable in all they do."

James 1:2-7

This verse is a good one to remember in times of trial, confusion, and fear. To me it seems both comforting and convicting. I find comfort in the fact that no matter what my faults are or how many I have, if I truly seek wisdom from the Lord, it will be given. It's convicting for me to remember to pray with the trust and faith that God hears me and he answers. I need to remember and believe that God has all the capability in the world to answer my prayers within his will. It's easy to go into "auto-prayer," which I think James is warning about here.

The question I want to put out there, for both myself and others is, "Am I persevering through this trial, or am I just hanging on? What can I do to persevere so that I may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing ?"

art/design by Jim LePage


No comments:

Post a Comment