Friday, January 14, 2011

the power of an image


I'm not what one would consider a very political person. Visiting Israel this summer opened my eyes to a lot of the struggle for power, and how ugly that struggle can be played out.

The photos in this photo-essay (link posted by a fellow alumnus that was working with a Peace-making team in the middle east) reminds me of how powerful a photograph can be. Images sometimes have the power to evoke something from people that sometimes, even eloquently-written words just cannot.

I think in this series, the one that stands out the most to me is the picture of all the concrete blocks surrounding one little girl's pink backpack. It's interesting to me how a photo of objects can capture such human emotions. It seems to quite clearly represent the chaos and destruction that surrounds the children that grow up in these situations.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,"
Matthew 5:43 & 44

"Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you."
2 Corinthians 13:1

No comments:

Post a Comment